TO: League Presidents
FROM: Mary G. Wilson, President
RE: Resorces for Leaders
On behalf of the LWVUS Board and staff, I would like to thank you for your dedication and commitment in furthering the mission and ideals of the League of Women Voters by serving as a League leader. We are pleased to share with you several tools to assist you in your leadership role, and we hope that you will share these with other leaders in your League.
- President’s Packet – Updated in June 2008, this is a guide for state and local League presidents that contains a concise listing of LWVUS resources and policies, as well as information about the services and assistance LWVUS/EF can provide to you during your tenure. It is meant to complement other essential League tools, such as League Basics and the weekly Leaders’ Update. As this publication is only printed periodically, some of its contents may change over time. League leaders are always encouraged to check the LWVUS Web site for the latest information.
- League Basics – Formerly known as In League, this is a streamlined and updated version of an essential League reference. It has information about the League structure and leadership roles. It also discusses important League policies, such as those regarding nonpartisanship and the criteria for candidate inclusion in debates or voters guides. League Basics – along with the appendices referenced in it – is available on www.lwv.org.
- Membership Brochure – Updated in late 2007, this is an excellent tool for local Leagues as they recruit members. LWVUS has invested in the message development and graphic design work on behalf of local and state Leagues. There is a space for Leagues to insert their contact and dues information. . Or, the brochure can be downloaded from the LWVUS Web site to be printed locally.
- List of LWVUS Liaisons (2012-2014) – LWVUS Board members serve as liaisons to Leagues – state, local and ILO – in assigned states. They are available to provide coaching, support and guidance. A list of liaison assignments is available on www.lwv.org.
- ABC's of Streamlining - Created to assit Leagues in delegating responsibilities of an executive team. Learn more about running a successful management team.
Thank you for your leadership and support. We have tremendous opportunities for organizational growth and visibility this election season. I hope that you can use the enclosed tools to help take advantage of this heightened time of political activity and activism to promote your League’s efforts and grow the organization. Remember that the League is the organization where hands-on work to safeguard democracy leads to civic improvement. We are advocates at city halls, statehouses, and in the US Congress. And, together we are advocates for League. We wish you continued success!