ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LWVUS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
AND THE LWVEF BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Board of Directors of the League of Women Voters of the United States is the governing board for the League of Voters of the United States, a 501 (c)(4) organization. As such, it represents the owners of the corporation (its membership) and provides leadership.
The Board of Trustees of the League of Women Voters Education Fund is the governing board for the League of Women Voters Education Fund and provides leadership for the direction and activities of the LWVEF, a 501 (c)(3) organization. The LWVEF has no members.
As the leadership of both organizations, the boards are responsible for leadership tasks. Both boards employ the same Executive Director, who oversees the day-to-day management of the organizations and directs the activities of the professional staff.
The organizational duties of the boards include:
- Setting policy,
- Planning, establishing goals and objectives, and providing regular feedback and appraisal,
- Hiring and evaluating the Executive Director,
- Providing oversight and stewardship of assets, including active involvement in fund development activities,
- Establishing and maintaining the organizations within all legal and governmental guidelines including their IRS status,
- Clarifying and communicating the organizations’ missions,
- Approving, monitoring and evaluating programs,
- Enhancing the public image of the organizations,
- Interpreting community needs to the organizations,
- Resolving issues of dispute or interpretation concerning the mission, policies and program of the organizations,
- Carrying out bylaw and convention mandates for the LWVUS and the trust agreement for the LWVEF.
Revised February 2004 Adopted January 1994