| by LWV
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF LWVUS/LWVEF COMMITTEE CHAIRS
PURPOSES OF COMMITTEES
- To develop and funnel creative ideas so that the best rise to the top and to communicate those ideas to board or staff, as appropriate.
- To consider whether sufficient staff and financial resources are available to carry out projects/programs to achieve the desired result.
- To develop options and make recommendations on plans, policies and priorities for board consideration.
- To outline pros and cons for full board deliberation and action.
- To consider and determine how to respond to concerns voiced by members and/or the public regarding the policies and programs the committee oversees.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF COMMITTEE CHAIRS
- Be knowledgeable about the subject content for which the committee is responsible.
- Establish committee meeting agendas with input from committee members and senior management.
- Confer with senior management in determining materials needed for committee and board briefings.
- Chair committee meetings.
- Come to meetings prepared and manage the committee's agenda within the allotted time frame.
- Practice good facilitation skills; handle conflicts and make sure all views are heard.
- Present committee report/recommendations to the full boards.
- Advise President/Chair on issues related to committee actions between board meetings.
- Provide information to and confer with committee members between board meetings.
- Appoint subcommittees of the full committee as appropriate.
Policy US-EF 94-03
Revised February 2004 Adopted January 1994