The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, has fought for nearly 100 years to improve American systems of government and impact public policies through citizen education, advocacy, and litigation. The enduring vitality and resonance of the League as a trusted force for change and good government comes from its unique decentralized structure: a national organization with strong partnerships at the grassroots level with more than 750 state and local Leagues across the country including the District of Columbia. At the national level, League activities are coordinated and staffed by two distinct but complementary organizations: The League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS) and the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF).
The League of Women Voters is seeking a strong Communications Specialist, based in Washington, DC, to support the organization’s 50-state strategy on redistricting. This is a full-time, grant-funded position based in our D.C. office with some domestic travel. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Communications and Digital Strategy. This is a one-year term position with a possible renewal based upon performance and funding.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft messaging related to the campaign in the form of talking points, tip sheets, FAQs, press releases, letters to the editor, op-eds, sample social media content, prepared testimony, and more.
- Create campaign content including website copy, email communication, digital graphics, and printed materials for use throughout the 50-state campaign.
- Conduct research and serve as point person for communications needs related to the campaign.
- Track media coverage of state and local Leagues related to campaign news.
- Coordinate with Communications Team for appropriate outreach to state and local Leagues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- High school diploma required
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in the communications field
- Must have strong writing and communications skills with attention to detail
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, Cision, Drupal website systems, and video production a plus
- Ability to work as a member of the team in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in nonprofit organizations or knowledge of redistricting desired but not required
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position is $50,000 for a one-year term with option to renew based upon performance and funding. We have a generous benefits package that includes 95 percent employer–sponsored health insurance, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, vacation days, sick days, pre-tax transit benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to a 401(K) plan.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Communications Specialist Application” in subject line. Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. If you have questions about this position, please direct them to the same email. No phone calls please.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The League of Women Voters of the United States is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace based on equal opportunity. The League is committed to hiring staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic identity; a workplace where true diversity is fostered, and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged. We actively seek and encourage women, minorities, persons with disabilities, immigrants, including DACA recipients and individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
This position is primarily sedentary and is performed in an office setting. The physical demands of this position are limited to the ability to use a computer, telephone and standard office equipment, lift up to 25 lbs., bend, stoop, and carry materials used in financial activities. Occasional travel within United States is necessary.