The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, has fought for nearly 100 years to improve American systems of government and impact public policies through citizen education, advocacy, and litigation. The enduring vitality and resonance of the League as a trusted force for change and good government comes from its unique decentralized structure: a national organization with strong partnerships at the grassroots level with more than 750 state and local Leagues across the country including the District of Columbia.
At the national level, League activities are coordinated and staffed by two distinct but complementary organizations: The League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS) and the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF).
The Community Organizer – Midwest region – will serve as an organizer in the Mission Impact Department. This person will play an important role in supporting the organizing strategy to build power at the state and national levels to secure transformational wins aimed at expanding the freedom to vote and will be particularly focused on this work in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and West Virginia.
Key components of the job include working with League affiliates and national staff: to build the capacity of League leaders to recognize, own, and amplify their power through training, capacity building, coaching, and strategic campaign development; to build a strong volunteer infrastructure by growing our base of activists and engagers, and by developing and supporting new and current leaders; to support campaign implementation through direct actions and other engagements and; to create a connection between national issue campaigns and local activities.
This position reports to the National Organizing Manager.
· Build strong, trusted, and authentic relationships with League leaders in the Midwest region.
· Identify and develop strong relationships with key organizations and community leaders.
· Work across departments to ensure that organizing goals complement other campaign and organizational goals.
· Implement online and offline organizing strategies to help LWV achieve legislative, advocacy, and program wins, and to build grassroots organizing power.
· Support expansion of state and local League online and offline presence to grow base and supporters to meet organizational goals.
· Work to further develop and grow volunteer leadership and capacity at the state and local levels to advance organizing work.
· Identify training and resource development needs.
· Implement campaigns to continue to grow LWV’s engagement with communities within the New American Majority, especially communities of color and young people.
· Work with state Leagues to build out direct action programs.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or comparable experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· Minimum of two years experience in community, labor, issue or political organizing, or leadership development, including an understanding of community organizing principles.
· Experience implementing, monitoring, and assessing field plans.
· Experience driving calls to action.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong attention to detail, and excellent people skills.
· Ability to engage diverse communities in an authentic way.
· Familiarity with voting rights, election reform, and voter engagement preferred.
· Willingness and availability to travel; have a valid driver’s license.
· Experience working with Office 365, Salsa-Engage, Salesforce, OutreachCircle, and/or NGP VAN a plus.
· Ability to use social media tools (like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) to organize is required.
· Experience in training others in organizing skills a plus.
· Bi-lingual or ASL certified a plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $55,000. We have a generous benefits package that includes 95 percent employer-sponsored health insurance, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, vacation days, sick days, pre-tax transit benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to a 401(K) plan.
This job is fully remote. Employees should be based in one of the following states: MO, MN, IA, IL, IN, OH, KY, WV)
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please send resumes to [email protected] with “Community Organizer (MW)” in the subject line. Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. If you have questions about this position, please direct them to the same email. No phone calls, please.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
The League of Women Voters of the United States is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace based on equal opportunity. The League is committed to hiring staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic identity; a workplace where true diversity is fostered, and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged. We actively seek and encourage women, minorities, persons with disabilities, immigrants, including DACA recipients, and individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
La Liga de Mujeres Votantes de los Estados Unidos está comprometida con un lugar de trabajo diverso e inclusivo basado en la igualdad de oportunidades. La Liga se compromete a contratar personal que refleje la gama completa de la raza, etnia, cultura, orientación sexual y la identidad socioeconómica de este país; un lugar de trabajo donde se fomenta la verdadera diversidad y se valoran e intercambian libremente diferentes perspectivas. Buscamos y alentamos activamente a las mujeres, las minorías, las personas con discapacidades, los inmigrantes, incluyendo los beneficiarios de DACA y las personas de comunidades tradicionalmente subrepresentadas, a aplicar.