(Looking for the Redistricting Action Kit? Click here!)
Join Complete Count Committees
The U.S. Census Bureau provides materials for individuals interested in forming or joining existing Complete Count Committees (CCC). CCC's create awareness in communities across the country and play a key role in developing partners to educate and motivate residents to participate in the 2020 Census. Check out the U.S. Census Bureau's website for more information like the pamphlets linked to below.
- State Complete Count Commissions: Includes contact information, Census timeline, and more information.
- 2020 Census Complete Count Committee Guide
Complete Count Database: LWVUS has compiled information regarding the formation of Complete Count Committees in preparation for the 2020 Census. The information also includes regional and local contacts where available. The information is current as of June 10, 2019.
Advocacy and Action
- Take the Pledge and say #CountMeIn
Pledge to be counted and to educate your community about the importance of the 2020 census.
- Mapping Hard to Count Communities
Use this map to discover details about hard to count communities. You can use this information to enhance your education campaigns supporting funding for the census, complete count committees, and other activities. This map can be drilled down to the address, zip, landmark, count, state, or legislative district.
- Talking Points: Citizenship Question in 2020 Census
On this page, LWVUS will maintain updated talking points for all Leagues to speak with one voice about the dangers of a citizenship question on the 2020 Census.
Tools & Templates
- 5 Actions Toward a Better Census
Please use this document for education purposes in your communities. The quarter-sheet flyer can be printed front and back to make a postcard-sized handout.
- LWVUS Webinar on LWV involvement in the 2020 Census
This is a recording of a webinar that occurred on July 30, 2019 and covered basics of the U.S. Census and a three step campaign for action for LWV's. Slides for the presentation can be downloaded at this link.
Resources from the U.S. Census Bureau
- OFFICIAL CENSUS QUESTIONNAIRE (pdf): This is a pdf sample copy of the official Sample copy of the 2020 Census Questionnaire. The form is from the U.S. Census Bureau website here.
- Census 101: What You Need to Know
A quick refresher on what the Census is and why it is essential that everyone is counted.
- The 2020 Census at a Glance
- Road to the 2020 Census
This is the 2020 Census operational timeline.
- The 2020 Census and Confidentiality
Responses to the 2020 Census are protected by federal law. Responses to the Census can only be used to produce statistics and cannot be used against you in any way.
- How the 2020 Census will invite everyone to respond
An overview of the plan to ensure that every household in the country will be invited to respond to the Census survey.
- Counting Young Children in the 2020 Census
An estimated 5 percent of kids under the age of 5 weren’t counted in the 2010 Census. That’s about 1 million young children, the highest of any age group. Here’s what Census research tells us about why young children are missed and what you can do to help make sure they are counted.
- League Urges Bipartisan Committee to Continue to Demand Transparency on the 2020 Census
- In the Know: Analyzing SCOTUS Hearing on Adding a Citizenship Question to 2020 Census
- Census 2020: One Year Out
- League Commends Chairman Gowdy for Demanding DOJ Official Answer Census Citizenship Questions
Letters to Congress and the Administration
Currently, the citizenship question has been removed from the 2020 Census and the League was instrumental in pushing back on the citizenship question. To learn how we got to victory, read the below record of letters we sent to Congress and the Administration around the harm that would occur if the question was included.
- League Sends Memo to U.S. House on Census Citizenship Question
- League Submits Comments on 2020 Census Address Canvass
- League Submits Comments Regarding Citizenship on 2020 Census
- League Sends Letter to House Committee on Citizenship and the U.S. Census
- League Joins Groups Demanding Oversight Hearings on Census Citizenship Question
- League Sends Letter to President Trump Regarding Census Bureau Director