JOB TITLE: Senior Regional Field Organizer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt/Full-Time
UPDATED: December 16, 2020
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, has fought for over 100 years to improve American systems of government and impact public policies through education, advocacy, and litigation. The enduring vitality and resonance of the League as a trusted force for change and good government comes from its unique decentralized structure: a national organization with strong partnerships at the grassroots level with more than 760 state and local Leagues across the country including the District of Columbia. At the national level, League activities are coordinated and staffed by two distinct but complimentary organizations: The League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS) and the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF).
The Senior Regional Field Organizer will play a crucial role in rebuilding the Nevada State League by managing the on the ground efforts to reestablish a strong and active State Board, reach out and engage existing members, bring new members, and help the new State League leadership develop a strong network of engaged and diverse partners to advance the League’s mission of empowering voters and defending democracy in Nevada.
While the individual is not responsible for executing all tasks under the rebuilding efforts, he/she/they will have an intimate awareness of all the pieces of the process, coordinating appropriate national staff to support resources and tools to the field and effectively manage the day-to-day operation. The individual must have a strong background in capacity building and organizational development, as well as experience in direct field organizing work, with a particular focus on volunteer-led organizations and federated models. Experience with local and state LWV Leagues preferred.
The ideal candidate must be dynamic, with excellent interpersonal skills, sensitivity to community needs, and have a strong diversity, equity, and inclusion lens.
This is a one-year position starting in mid-January.
The Senior Regional Field Organizer will report to the National Organizing Director. A portion of time may be spent doing work for LWVUS’s sister organization, LWV Education Fund.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee all aspects of the on the ground rebuilding efforts including day-to-day operations.
• Develop & mobilize a strong volunteer base and cultivate volunteer community leaders through direct community outreach, grassroots fieldwork, and leadership development opportunities, in coordination with the LWVUS team and the state leadership.
• Provide accurate and detailed assessment on the on-the-ground conditions
• Develop and implement daily outreach strategy and goals for existing and new members, and allies and partners.
• Monitor action items and deadlines for internal staff metrics of success related to the effort and adjust plan to meet metrics, as needed;
• Provide ongoing updates around the rebuilding efforts to both state and national leadership.
• Willingness to travel, as necessary.
• Provide training opportunities to state leaders, members and supporters, in coordination with the LWVUS team
• Build the State’s organizing capacity and grassroots partnerships to effectively advance state and federal policy initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
• At least 4 years managing a state campaign; doing that work in a federated or other affiliate model is a plus
• Proven organizational skills and leadership ability
• Effectively administer and coordinate groups of individuals through teamwork, delegation, conflict resolution, and coaching
• Strong field organizing and capacity building experience
• Predict and create solutions to potential issues once aware, problem solver
• Ability to manage multiple demands with different and sometimes competing needs
• Demonstrable interpersonal skills
• Ability to maintain level-headedness in high-stress environments
• Fundraising experience a plus
• Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
• Must have insured vehicle and valid driver’s license
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary for this position is $63,000 for one year We have a generous benefits package that includes 95 percent employer-sponsored health insurance, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, vacation days, sick days, pre-tax transit benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to a 401(K) plan.
This position is located in Nevada.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to [email protected] with “Senior Field Organizer Application” in the subject line. Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. If you have questions about this position, please direct them to the same email. No phone calls, please.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
The League of Women Voters of the United States is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace based on equal opportunity. The League is committed to hiring staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic identity; a workplace where true diversity is fostered, and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged. We actively seek and encourage women, minorities, persons with disabilities, immigrants, including DACA recipients, and individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
This position is primarily sedentary and is performed in an office setting. The physical demands of this position are limited to the ability to use a computer, telephone, and standard office equipment, lift up to 25 lbs., bend, stoop, and carry materials used in financial activities. Occasional travel within the United States may be necessary.