Interested in planning a nonpartisan voter registration drive?
The League of Women Voters has some expert tips!
Befriend Local Experts
- Coordinate with organizations already doing voter registration in your community, such as your local League of Women Voters!
- Touch base with local elections officials to let them know your plans, pick up blank forms, and attend any offered trainings.
Pick the Right Venue
- Aim to reach lots of people, especially those who might not already be registered to vote.
- Great locations include:
- Transit hubs/neighborhood gathering places
- Schools (high schools, community colleges, technical schools, vocational/alternative schools)
- Community/sporting events
- Places frequented by recent movers
Know the Law and Take Time to Train
- Voter registration rules differ from place to place, so make sure your volunteers are familiar with the federal and state laws that govern voter registration in your community. For more information, contact your local League of Women Voters, elections official or check out http://fairelectionsnetwork.com/resources.
- Be sure to keep registration drives nonpartisan, and take the time to practice your registration “pitch” with volunteers.