Today, there is a critical runoff election in Georgia! Two US Senate seats that will determine control of the Senate and a Public Service Commissioner position are on the ballot. Voters in Georgia have the opportunity today to make their voices heard on the issues they care about and weigh in on who they want to represent them. In the weeks leading up to this election, the League of Women Voters has proudly supported the work that the League of Women Voters of Georgia is doing to engage with voters of all backgrounds. LWV of Georgia is working in partnership with GoVote Georgia to mobilize and protect voters as they cast their ballots.
LWV has reached voters in Georgia through a wide range of Get out the Vote activities aimed at increasing turnout and ensuring voters have the information they need. LWV directly contacted Georgia voters through a variety of methods to help them make a plan to vote, including:
- 465,000 postcards sent to women voters, young voters, and infrequent voters with information on how to vote in the runoff election,
- Two volunteer-drive text-a-thons and one phonebank with our partner the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights reaching hundreds of thousands of Georgians and helping them make a plan to vote,
- LWV volunteers sent over 415,000 texts and made over 600 calls to Georgia voters.
Additionally, LWV launched a major media initiative aimed toward reaching voters around key absentee and early voting dates, including:
- 13 Billboards in the Atlanta metro area directing voters to VOTE411.org to find the information they need to make a plan to vote
- More than 1,800 ads on iHeart Radio with voting information in English and Spanish, which earned more than 5 million impressions
- Sharing graphics and videos on social media in English and Spanish with key information about the runoff election and how Georgians can vote
Through all these efforts, LWV has reached well over 1 million voters in Georgia. Susannah Scott, President of LWV of Georgia says: “Even during the pandemic, it has been so inspiring to see how Georgia voters have been motivated to participate in their democracy. Over 3 million voters have already cast their ballots in this historic runoff election. Thank you to all our volunteers with the League of Women Voters of Georgia who worked to ensure all Georgians had the information they needed to cast their ballots safely and securely!”
LWV is proud to support voters at every level. Find your local League to learn more about how you can support voters in your own community. Follow us on OutreachCircle for future volunteer opportunities with LWV!