About the League of Women Voters
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan, grassroots membership organization that has operated at the federal, state, and local levels for over 100 years. At the national level, League activities are coordinated and staffed by two distinct but complimentary organizations: The League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS) and the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF).
The League’s mission is to empower voters and defend democracy, which we carry out through educating voters, encouraging informed and active participation in government, increasing understanding of major public policy issues, influencing public policy, and organizing to build political power. In addition, the organization is working to transform itself to ensure its continued strength and vitality in its second century and beyond.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of this national grassroots organization, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for overseeing the internal organization processes and infrastructure of the 34-person and growing national office. The COO will collaborate with the CEO in strategic and operational planning, providing staff leadership, and ensuring and enhancing organizational effectiveness. The ideal candidate will have experience in change management and will be able to evolve and adapt with the organization as we undergo a period of growth and transformation.
The COO will manage the following functions, with direct supervisory authority over Accounting and Finance, IT, Human Resources, and Operations:
Financial Management and Oversight
- Working with the Assistant Controller, oversees all financial and business planning activities, including:
- Leads organizational budgeting process
- Manages office expenditures, in accordance with the budget
- Reviews and analyzes financial reports
- Oversees business policies
- Reports on the organization’s financial position to the Board and relevant committees
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal legal requirements
- Provides overall financial oversight and monitoring, including overseeing the audit process
- Supports and advises the CEO in decision making
- Manages the HR vendor providing human resource function for LWV (some functions will become automated), including:
- Recruitment, hiring, and compensation
- Benefits administration and oversight
- Performance appraisal process
- Professional training, including new employee orientation
- Regulatory oversight and legal compliance
- Oversees employee relations and provides staff leadership
- Oversees various risk management and legal activities: letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements
- Oversees trademark compliance system for state/local affiliates
- Oversees procurement activities
- Oversees office management and related administrative functions, ensuring smooth daily operations of physical plant and equipment
- Works with the Senior Manager of Operations and Director of Information Technology to ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure
- Working with the CEO, provides staff support and guidance to the LWV Board, and acts as staff liaison to relevant board committees
- Assists with new project development, as needed
- Will lead safe return to office plan post-COVID
- Minimum of a BA; advanced degree preferred
- CPA or strong finance background preferred
- Progressive experience leading to at least five years of senior experience in operational/administrative management in a non-profit organization
- Demonstrated experience in human resources management, budget development, financial planning and analysis, information technology, and administrative operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work well with peers, staff, Board, and members
- Savvy business professional who is solutions-focused and is passionate about the sustainable financial health of an organization.
- Ability to thrive in a changing environment, handle ambiguity and be well organized; excellent verbal and written communication skills a must
- Good judgment and quick-thinking with a results-oriented approach to work and management; impeccable attention to detail, and outcomes and deadline oriented.
- Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within a fast-moving and changing environment
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in balancing priorities and in problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to help grown an organization’s operations and systems.
- High level of flexibility and willingness to adapt
LWV Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The League of Women Voters centers social justice and racial equity through its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion to both external and internal stakeholders. We intentionally foster an inclusive workplace based on equal opportunity. The League is committed to hiring staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, gender and gender identity, and socioeconomic identity; a workplace where true diversity is fostered, and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged. We encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
How to apply
For consideration, interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Your cover letter must address your interest, experience, and qualifications being sought. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Please visit lwv.org for more information about the organization. To obtain further details about this opportunity, contact Danisha Martin at [email protected], Search Consultant, at Impact Search Advisors by Nonprofit HR.