In 2016 the League of Women Voters launched the League-wide Campaign for Making Democracy Work®. This comprehensive program engages Leagues nationwide in advancing core democracy issues.
The campaign includes ensuring a free, fair, and accessible electoral system for all eligible voters by focusing the organization on the following issue areas:
- Voting is a fundamental right and all eligible voters should have the equal opportunity to exercise that right. The League is dedicated to ensuring that our elections remain free, fair and accessible.
- Everyone deserves access to and information about the votes that will shape their communities. The League engages millions of voters every year ensuring Americans have the information they need to participate in elections that determine our future.
- Election Services (registration programs, debates & forums)
- VOTE411, our digital guide to election information such as polling locations, candidate info, and registration deadlines
Campaign Finance/Money in Politics
- Elections should be about the voters, not big money interests. It’s time to limit SuperPACs and secret donors to protect representative democracy.
- Reducing the influence of big money in our politics makes our elections fairer. Voters have the right to know who is raising money for which political candidates, how much money they are raising, and how that money is being spent. Our elections should be free from corruption and undue influence and should work so that everyday Americans can run for office, even if they aren't well connected to wealthy special interests.
- We fight to reform money in politics in Congress, with state legislatures, with the executive branch, and, where appropriate, the courts. We are deeply committed to reforming our nation's campaign finance system to ensure the public's right to know, combat corruption and undue influence, and enable candidates to compete more equitably in public office, and allow maximum citizen participation in the political process.
- Congressional districts and government legislative bodies should be apportioned substantially on population. We oppose partisan and racial gerrymandering that strips rights away from voters. We promote transparent and accountable redistricting processes and work to end hyper-partisan practices that don't benefit constituents. We believe responsibility for fair redistricting should be vested in an independent special commission, with membership that reflects the diversity of the unit of government.
- The League works in states across the country to pass ballot initiatives to institute independent redistricting commissions.